Monday, September 20, 2004

It just hit me on Saturday that I've actually only 2 weeks left before finals are on. The thing is, there's no pressure/stress/worry or anything on my part. Weird? I dunno. Even this morning when my pastor was asking for those who are having major/final exams, i didn't feelt he urge to respond at all.

My friend, Wee Ming, once said something along these lines: "What's the point about worrying and studying extra hard for your exams? When you graduate, everyday will be a close examination of your skills and knowledge. If you don't know your stuff by the time the finals are here, chances are, you won't know your stuff when you need it when working." So there you have it. I'm pretty comfortable with my skills/knowledge/etc and i suppose that's why exams and exam results don't bother me as much. I have nothing to prove in exams. People should see what i'm capable of through my actions, not just from a piece of paper. I know plenty of people with a GREAT piece of paper but.... they aren't worth much in a practical sense... hehe... anyone feels insulted yet? :P I suppose all this can be blamed on society for wrongly putting the emphasis on exams rather than on learning. But that will be a discussion for another day. :)

-----

Longdrawn 2: Music for elevators. That was quite an ok gig. The first band was really crap though. They certainly Lied their way through. The vocalist couldn't sing a single note correctly, the guitars would be better known as noise. Next up was Free Love, they were quite decent; catchy riffs and somewhat acceptable lyrics. Full of energy. Sounded somewhat like OAG though. Her Reverie was my highlight though, with their stuff sound very dreamy and melodic. Justin, Keng and Co. did very well... Bought their EP too btw. KLPHQ was somewhat impressive with their own brand of instrumental music. The guitars mix very well with the sound samples. This Body Broken was good as well, though they could have been much better. They lost their lead singer recently and so their guitarist, Warren, had to do the vocals as well. He sang a lil bit shrilly though BUT he does have a good low voice, am puzzled why he doesn't use it properly... Furniture was impressive too. But there was this short annoying fat dude who kept disturbing when the one of the band members was intro-ing the band and songs... sheesh.. They played a lot with effects though. Lots of filter effects and synths and samples as well... Rich bunch I reckon. The supposed highlight was a disappointment for me. The Observatory was nothing spectacular. Relied a lot on loops and samples. The two songs that I heard (left early cuz had work in the morning! sigh...) was actually pleasant to hear but a bit repetetive. Their intro instrumental song was crap though. No head, no tail and no body. But gotta give them credit for the way they layer their sounds though.... I do think that they did suffer somewhat from overhype...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home